14 March 2008

State of Emergency/Whipped Cream
oil on canvas, 28"x28", 2008

1 comment:

B.P.R. said...

Dan-

This piece presents itself as one of your more interesting spatial developments within this series of works. The levels of space aren't localized either, so at nearly any point in the painting one can "visually" dip into the piece and can just as easily come back to the surface. There is one particular level of color that seems to be more of an object in a field than the rest and that is the yellow shapes (primarily on the left side of the canvas). The move seems intentional, however, I wonder if you want the yellow to be such a definitive (and cohesive) object in the field-like structure of the rest of the painting? In either case kudos. I think I am reacting to the yellow shapes on the left side of the canvas as I am because they are primarily only contrasted by the red, and it seems to have a very specific vertical orientation. But again, the layers of space you are developing are very thoughtful.